The personal information of Washingtonians who applied for unemployment claims in 2020 may have been exposed in an attack on a third-party service provider used by the Washington State Auditor’s Office.
**This is a non-HAPO related incident.**
Data breaches pose a potential risk to consumers in the form of identity theft, account takeover, and fraud when personal and sensitive information is compromised. We encourage you to follow these tips following a breach that has potentially exposed your
- Thoroughly check your credit report and put a “security freeze” on your credit file. Sign up for Savvy Money to monitor your credit score.
- Place a “fraud alert” on your credit report if you are a victim of identity theft.
- Update your Online Banking login/password credentials.
- If your debit or credit card was compromised, cancel it and get a new one.
- Sign up for banking alerts to be notified of any suspicious activity on your account.